The Man-Alive Grappling Curriculum

The Man-Alive Martial Arts grappling and Jiu-Jitsu classes follow a rotating schedule of covered topics. I really enjoy the idea of a reoccurring lesson plan, as it allows me to really look at positions and options multiple times from other angles. Each time I teach an idea, I learn a bit more myself, so even teaching the same thing twice -it is never the same.

There are no secrets in training. I'm happy to share our way of doing things in an effort to bring the community together. If you'd like any further explanations of what we do, please email me. Enjoy.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Silverback Passing Game

To start off our Top game and Guard Passing strategies, this month I have decided to focus on what I am calling the Silverback Game.

As I first thought about it, I wanted to call it a Top game- but really it is more of a Passing game. Either way, it can be a lot of fun. The name comes from one of my coaches who in a seminar last summer explained one of the concept postures as 'The Silverback Stance'. It kinda stuck for me.

However it wasn't until more recently when I was in Montana that the concept actually stuck in my head. While rolling for my Blue Belt promotion I had the chance to roll with another instructor and Black Belt of the organisation that I had previously not had the pleasure of rolling with before. His game was very unique, and in all the people and body types I rolled with over the entire weekend, his game felt so much different than anything else I had experienced, and I knew I wanted to be able to embody that kind of pressure too. So as soon as I got back from the seminar, at our club we've been slowly moving along these concepts.

Honestly, like the Moth Guard, these are not positions that I've come up with. In fact almost the entirety of the Silverback stuff is just pieced together from what I've seen my coaches teach, or concepts that work for other people combined with my own experiences. But then again, I have yet to have anyone show me a game that delivers the movement and pressure that I am looking for here. This is a Very New Game. It is in its first baby steps phase where a lot of problem solving and adjustments will need to be made. It will change.

For those of you who know what to look for, I am going to try to explain what we are going to be working with over the  month, and how this game fits together. If you look at each piece then I think you can get a pretty good understanding of the progression of our training drills this month.

Step One - Silverback Stance
The game starts out from closed guard, and the 5 step guard passing progression we use. In this progression however, we are passing from a standing position, and this also marks the movements and most of the feel of the game for us. Whenever possible have your postures and positions aligned with this squat stance of a position. So start in closed guard. Top person dive to, or start in -safety position. From there we progress to 2nd base (a variation of base and posture- more extended). And from that position we come to- The Silverback Stance. Now once here, camp out for a sec to get the feel for it and the pressures and defences that are necessary to survive. The next pressure is using the stance to open the legs from a combination of stalling until the person on bottom gets bored, or opens themselves to do something, and pushing your hips backwards into the join of where their feet are crossed. As soon as their legs open, then we are going right into Silverback Stance again, this time with adjusted grips on the pants/legs. If anything goes wrong  throughout the entire progression, reset into safety position and start again from the beginning.

Step Two - Standing Combat Base
The next part of the game, is surviving and controlling the legs once you are in position. Keep your weight really heavy on your heels in Silverback stance so you are hard to move around. This should give you the opportunity to get to our next position of Standing Combat Base. This position is written up really well in Cane Prevost's Blog- The Gentle Art. He has a bunch of stuff written there, and this is where we have been getting some of our drills for this position too. The only things that change for us throughout this progression is what passes we are using as we get the legs and hips under control enough to continue to the next phase.

Step Three - Gorilla Passing
This series of passes were introduced to me by several different sources, and all at different times. Some coaches showed me two or three passes that worked well together, and other passes I have seen and used just seemed in fit into the same concepts. There are a few ways in which I think about passing the guard (and seeing that I'm a Blue belt, all this is probably in the wrong order, ha!).

The first is a playful game against the guard, that I just ride it out and surf on the opponents guard until they give me something. This is quite relaxed and fun (but usually gives my opponent a huge advantage and sees me end up on the bottom working my escapes). The only way I've survived any length of time here is with the ability to hip-in like mad and be sprawl-ready all the time. The ability to drop your weight into the mats and your opponent, while getting low is key here.

The next is a newer one for me, and a great one to play with too- gathering and collecting. Being in the guard and just using all your tools to gather up the legs, and collect them together, or to the ground, or in the air. Basically you are trying to limit their movement, but with no particular pressure or technique. Just keep you elbows tight to your ribs, and keep your posture and base strong. Once you have a opportunity to step-in under the knees to kill the legs in the air, do it. Or if you have the opportunity to pin them to the mats or together, then go with that as well.

The last is an aggressive charge through the guard, much like the Silverback's display in defending their territory. Beat your chest, growl, and smash right on through the guard. If that doesn't work, be stubborn and keep doing it. You'll eventually get the smash, or the jump, or the leg-drag / ankle reap.

The idea with all of these options to get your opponent under control is just that- GET YOUR OPPONENT UNDER CONTROL! Keep everything close and slow and intentional. No big burst spastic movements. In fact all the movements we want to use should be relaxed and intentional. Use the warm-up motions that we practice. Sliverback stance, Gorilla walking (both alternating sides and on the same side), Frog-hops and hip in sprawling from Silverback.

Step Four - The Silverback Knee-Ride
This position is one that I am still trying to understand. I have only felt it once, and it was such a strange feeling that I immediately wanted to figure out how to hold the position for myself. It is basically a squatting knee-ride. The only couple times I have tried to keep a similar position it hasn't felt very strong for me, but I am determined to make it work. It does require that your hips are fairly flexible and that you can squat all the way down and keep your weight on your heels. If anyone knows, has seen, or has tips for a this position or one like it, let me know please.

The first step is the positioning of the limbs. After you are passed the guard, squat down with the near side foot right up and under your opponents near side hip. The far side hip is controlled by your arm and hand effectively pinning the hips between your shin and arm on one side. This leaves the one foot and arm free to position themselves for base. The grip I have been using lately is a single hand pry-bar by gripping the back of the collar from the near side and rotating your arm so it prevents your opponent from shrimping and getting on their side. I am also tempted to grab the far side and look for a control hold but as of yet haven't found anything that I like.

As we experiment more with this position, I will be posting the complete findings and thoughts here, along with any troubleshooting I can do, or tips from those that are helping me get a grip on the position.

No comments:

Post a Comment